Pages

Wednesday 10 July 2013

79. Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)

Common Pheasants were introduced to the UK and much of Europe as game birds and are now a familiar bird of our countryside. Their colourful plumage is unmistakeable, as is their creaky, rasping call.

Common Pheasant, ©Gidzy, via Flickr Creative Commons.
Common Pheasant sketch.
I decided to do a colour drawing, but don't think I've managed to capture the subtleties of the Pheasant's colours very well, nor indeed the shape of his head and bill - as you can see I ran out of time too. Oh well! I still enjoyed using colour as always, I think I'm going to pick up my watercolours next time I visit my parents in York to allow me more opportunities and flexibility for experimenting in colour. I could just buy some I suppose but I'm too tight-fisted, why fork out when I already have 2 sets of perfectly good watercolours in York. You can take the lady out of Yorkshire but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment