Pages

Wednesday 10 June 2015

30 Days Wild | Day 10 - lunch break botanising strikes again

Back to normal for me now - my exam is done and I'm back at work! For Day 10 of 30 Days Wild, I went out during my lunch break to once again try to identify five different plants growing in the environs of my workplace, the University of Birmingham. Again I went along the canal towpath, although to a different spot to last time - a lush grassy bank between the canal and railway line, which is unmanaged as far as I can tell and is rich in wildflowers. I took the close-ups with my field lens and smartphone; I've found that this works best out of direct sun as I get weird reflections and lens flare sometimes in the sun - this can be seen on one of the photos below. Today's findings have a geranium theme!

Shining Crane's-bill (Geranium lucidum) - there are a few plants of this in slightly shadier spots, they have mostly finished flowering now.
Shining Crane's-bill is probably my favourite of the geranium family so here is another photo, showing its cute shiny leaves!
This was a new one for me that I'd never spotted before! I think it is Small-flowered Crane's-bill (Geranium pusillum). Some strange reflections around the edge of the image, artefacts from photographing through my field lens in the sun.
This is everywhere along the towpath at the moment! Hedgerow Crane's-bill (Geranium pyrenaicum).
Big patch of Red Campion (Silene dioica).
Common Field Speedwell (Veronica persica).

No comments:

Post a Comment