Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2013

42. Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis)

I mentioned in a previous post that I have 2 favourite ducks, and here is the second! Long-tailed Ducks are so smart, check out this guy getting himself spick and span for the ladies, love this photo. They're super hardy too (like many ducks), breeding in Northern Europe and the Arctic.

Long-tailed Duck, ©Tormod Amundsen/Biotope
Long-tailed Duck drawing.
This took way longer than intended. I'm fairly pleased with it though, I wouldn't want to have bodged one of my favourites.

The first time I saw Long-tailed Ducks was in Svalbard in 2009, in big rafts on the sea from the boat we were cruising on. It was the first time I'd been to the Arctic too, I'd been fascinated by the polar regions for a long time and when I inherited some money I decided to spend some of it on my dream holiday. Since then I have become somewhat obsessed with the Arctic! It would not be an exaggeration to say it was a life-changing experience, as it was the trigger for me decide to start studying again, for my second degree (in environmental science). Which is the reason I never have any free time these days, but I'm over halfway through the degree and it's going well so far! 

Here are some of my favourite photos from that holiday.

Ice from Esmarkbreen.

The Russian mining town of Barentsburg.

The good ship Noorderlicht (our home for the duration of the holiday) in Van Keulenfjord.

Ahlstrandhalvøya.

No comments:

Post a Comment