Pages

Thursday 16 May 2013

36. Common Eider (Somateria mollissima)

Today is a double-duck bonanza as I didn't have time last night to do a drawing.....we still hadn't watched this week's Game of Thrones so that needed rectifying, priorities and all that. Plus I knew I would have plenty of time this evening!

Today's photo is reproduced with the kind permission of Tormod from Biotope, organisers of the awesome Arctic Gullfest in Vardø, Norway - the event that inspired me to start drawing and blogging.

Common Eider, ©Tormod Amundsen/Biotope
Common Eider sketch.

A fairly common seaduck, nonetheless Common Eiders are still a handsome bird, just look at that fine profile! I enjoyed drawing it, those smooth clean lines are most pleasing.

The numbers of Eiders up in Varanger during the Gullfest were pretty awe-inspriring, here are a few of my photos of the King Eider safari in which we went out in a fishing boat to the mixed rafts of Common and King Eider (plus the odd Steller's and Long-tailed Duck).

Gives some idea of the density of the Eider flocks which frequently surrounded our boat.

Eiders + Vardø.

Common + King Eiders.
Expect more Gullfest-related ramblings and photos as I work my way through the Eiders!

No comments:

Post a Comment