Pages

Thursday 22 August 2013

Cannock Chase birthday fun!

Today is my birthday and as such, a day spent enjoying nature was in order. Now Chris has wheels, and perhaps more importantly the qualification to drive them, our options have expanded hugely! So we went to Cannock Chase in Staffordshire, one of my favourite spots due to its extensive heathland.....I love a good heath! Here are a few things that we saw.

This was in the ladies' toilets at the visitor centre. Which meant I could watch a Swallow chick being fed whilst doing a wee. A unique experience.
Things were fairly quiet on the bird front but we did get excellent views of a Hobby flying by in a leisurely fashion while we ate lunch, Chris's insistence that we sit at the top of a hill for lunch paid off there. There were SOOOO MANY butterflies around though, we saw 12 species, the most exciting one was definitely my first ever Clouded Yellow, amazing! I didn't get a picture as it didn't land within photo range but it was brilliant, no mistaking its bright golden colour and thick black borders! Here are a few pictures that I did manage:

Comma (Polygonum c-album).

A very worn out Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus).
More excitement, Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)!
I ate a few Bilberries (Vaccinium myrtillus) with my lunch, there were also plenty of Lingonberries around the place, I like seeing them as it reminds me of Sweden where Lingonberries come with pretty much everything!

Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea).
YUM (Stockholm 07/01/2011).

Can't wait to go back to Cannock Chase :o) Chris even expressed an interest in going on a Nightjar walk there next year, need to try and encourage his minimal interest in birds wherever possible, heh heh heh......

Lovely Cannock Chase, mmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment