Pages

Saturday 20 June 2015

30 Days Wild | Day 20 - stroll around Stock's Wood

On Day 20 of 30 Days Wild, I went for a short walk around the perimeter of Stock's Wood in Bournville.

Here is some info about Stock's Wood!
It's not open to the public, as if it was some of the old trees would have to be removed as they would pose a health and safety risk. It's better this way as it means this small scrap of woodland remains undisturbed for nature. You can still walk all the way round the edge too and peer in!

We had been to the garden centre in Bournville earlier the same day (I needed to buy a bowsaw to attack a rather out-of-control Buddleia in our back garden) which is right next to Stock's Wood, and from the car park I'd heard what sounded a lot like a Pied Flycatcher (!?!?). It's certainly nice habitat for Pied Flycatchers - lots of mature oaks and other deciduous trees - but it is only a tiny fragment, surrounded by suburbs (which are admittedly also quite leafy). The bird only sang a couple of times, I waited for a bit but didn't hear anything more, so went into the garden centre to complete my purchase. I went for a proper walk around the woods later on to see if I could see/hear it again but no joy. I did see a Song Thrush though, and heard Nuthatch, Blackcap and Chiffchaff among others. I might get up early tomorrow morning for some more investigations.... for now here are some photos of Stock's Wood!

Path round the edge of Stock's Wood.

Stock's Wood.

Path round the edge of Stock's Wood.

Stock's Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment