Pages

Tuesday 16 June 2015

30 Days Wild | Day 16 - return of lunch break botanising

On day 16 of 30 Days Wild, I was back out exploring the canal on my lunch break for plants and flowers - some I knew, and some I didn't. Here's what I found!

Cut-leaved Crane's-bill (Geranium dissectum) is just starting to flower.
This stuff is absolutely everywhere along the towpath and has just started to flower within the past week. I think it is Corncockle (Agrostemma githago), it may have spread from a wildflower seed mixture or be some kind of cultivar as apparently the wild form is very rare.
I thought this was Thyme-leaved Speedwell (Veronica serpyllifolia) but it's quite fuzzy and my book says it should be hairless?
At least this one is unmistakeable, Honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum).
I hadn't seen this one before, I think it is Pink-sorrel (Oxalis articulata).
The aqueduct that carries the canal over the A38 looks over this bank, it's too steep to get mowed. I saw a Common Blue butterfly flittering around there.
Some of the grassland between the canal and railway track.

No comments:

Post a Comment