Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2015

30 Days Wild | Day 2 - lunch break botanising

For day 2 of 30 Days Wild, I nipped out on my lunch break from work to have a look for plants nearby. There are plenty to choose from! There is a variety of habitats along the canal, railway and their environs next to the University campus - wooded areas, scrubby grassland, rank ruderal-y bits and scrappy verges. As time was short, I decided to try and find and photograph 5 plant species. This is a good mini-challenge as I can repeat it several times throughout the month - each time finding different plants, and also looking out for new plants which emerge in the course of the month. It's all part of my continuing efforts to improve my plant knowledge and ID skills. Here are today's findings, all from a slightly stressed-looking in places verge alongside the canal towpath:

Common Mouse-ear (Cerastium fontanum).
Not 100% sure, but I think this is Field Pansy (Viola arvensis).

Black Medick (Medicago lupulina).

Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata).
Creeping Cinquefoil (Potentilla reptans).

No comments:

Post a Comment