Pages

Wednesday 1 June 2016

30 Days Wild | Day 1 - Identiplant scavenger hunt 1

It's day 1 of 30 Days Wild! Once again throughout the month of June, lots of people will be carrying out a daily 'random act of wildness' to bring them closer to nature. I and many others did this last June and I enjoyed it a lot, so I've signed up again this year! This June is probably going to be my busiest month this year however, as we will be moving house and I'm starting a new job; I'm also going on holiday for a week (this was planned before I knew about the new job and consequent move!). So while I'm going to try my best to keep up with 30 Days Wild, I may fall behind!

A lot of my random acts of wildness are going to involve plant identification - I'm currently studying the Identiplant course, so bits of my assignments will be perfect for 30 Days Wild. Today I'm starting the second part of Unit 2's assignment, which is about terminology. There is a lot of terminology to learn when it comes to describing plants! This part of the assignment is quite fun - it's a bit like a scavenger hunt, where you have to find plants with features that match particular terms:

Here's part of the assignment!
So on my lunch break today I headed down to the good old canal towpath (which I am going to miss when I leave this job) and found two plants - one with ovate (egg-shaped) leaves, and one with lanceolate (spear-shaped - e.g. like a blade of grass) leaves. You can see my answers written in the worksheet above, and here are the two plants!

Red Campion (Silene dioica).

Oregano (Origanum vulgare).
Lanceolate Silene dioica leaf and ovate Origanum vulgare leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment