Pages

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Kings Norton Nature Reserve 23/04/16

On Saturday I was back at my local patch for a very pleasant wander in the spring sunshine. This time my partner Chris came with me for a bit - he is not so into birds as me, but wanted to see what this place is that I keep going to every week! As a result I heard but did not see a few species, as Chris isn't too keen on stopping and loitering for ten minutes to try and catch a glimpse of an elusive bird :oD I saw/heard 36 species in all, of which one was new for me at this site, taking my patch total to 63. Here are my highlights:
  • Today's new species was, as anticipated, Blackcap - hooray. I didn't see them but I heard a couple in different parts of the reserve.
  • Chiffchaffs all over the place now - I lost count of how many I heard. Must try and do a proper count next time!
  • A very fleeting glimpse of a Reed Bunting flying away from me in the area behind Wychall Reservoir.
  • Willow Warbler singing near Merecroft Pool.
  • I heard Green Woodpecker yaffling somewhere in the area behind Wychall Reservoir.
  • Treecreeper - again, heard but not seen in a few parts of the reserve.
  • Quite a few Orange Tip and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies about. 
I bumped into fellow KNNR patch birder Adrian too, who had heard a Whitethroat singing briefly in the area behind Wychall Reservoir. Unfortunately it had stopped by the time I got there but maybe I'll find it next time. I was also on the lookout for some plants for my Identiplant assignment about the Ranunculus family, and this combined with the nice weather meant I ended up taking LOADS of photos!

British Waterways Meadow (HDR).
Bluebells by Merecroft Pool. So beautiful, I'm hoping to get some better photos before the flowers are gone.
Bluebells by Merecroft Pool.
Wood Anemone (Anemone nemorosa). Needed this one for my assignment!
Wood Anemone (Anemone nemorosa).
Something's killed a Magpie. My guess would be a Fox, or possibly could a female Sparrowhawk take on a Magpie?
Close-up of Magpie feathers.
Around the back of Wychall Reservoir.
Small Tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae).
Small Tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae).
Small Tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae).
Butterbur (Petasites hybridus).
Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris), another one I needed for my assignment!
Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) (HDR).
I'm excited to say that the Friends of Kings Norton Nature Reserve have asked me to lead their Dawn Chorus Walk on the 7th of May, starting at 05:30am at Burmans Drive (opposite Wychall Park Grove), should be good!

FULL BIRD LIST


Blackbird Goldcrest Magpie
Blackcap Goldfinch Mallard
Blue Tit Great Spotted Woodpecker Moorhen
Bullfinch Great Tit Mute Swan
Buzzard Green Woodpecker Reed Bunting
Canada Goose Greenfinch Robin
Carrion Crow Grey Heron Song Thrush
Chaffinch Herring Gull Treecreeper
Chiffchaff House Sparrow Tufted Duck
Coot Jackdaw Willow Warbler
Dunnock Lesser Black-backed Gull Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon Long-tailed Tit Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment