Pages

Monday 3 June 2013

52. Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis)

The Lesser Scaup resembles a mini Greater Scaup (although I think unless I saw the two together I would find it difficult to judge the size); apart from size, the other main differences are head shape and colour of wing bars. As visible in the photo below, Lesser Scaup has a peak at the rear of its crown similar to a female Tufted Duck, and it also has a less extensive white wing bar than Greater Scaup - in Lesser only the inner of the wing bar is white with the rest being grey-brown, whereas white extends out towards the primaries on Greater.

Lesser Scaup, ©omarrun, via Flickr Creative Commons.
Lesser Scaup sketch.
I've made him a bit chunky again in what appears to be my developing signature style!

No comments:

Post a Comment