Pages

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Kings Norton Nature Reserve 13/12/15

On Sunday I took my last trip of the year to my local patch, Kings Norton Nature Reserve (I'll be in York over the Christmas break). It was another grey and gloomy day; we seem to have been having rather a lot of those recently. I went out in the early afternoon and conditions became increasingly foggy as the day wore on - by the time I left the visibility was fairly dreadful!

I saw 33 species, of which one was new for me at this site, taking my total after nine visits to 52 species. Here are the highlights!
  • Today's new species was a Pied Wagtail flying over, near Wychall Reservoir.
  • Goldcrests, Goldcrests, everywhere. I keep religiously checking each one just in case of wintering Firecrests, probably a bit optimistic but you never know.... 
  • My highest count yet of Tufted Ducks on Merecroft Pool, 13. A slightly more modest (compared to previous highs) 14 Teal on Wychall Reservoir.
  • A smattering of Siskins in the tall pines on the far side of Merecroft Pool (in back gardens).
Merecroft Pool
Mist-erious Merecroft Pool!
The area behind the dam (HDR).

I was a bit short of time this week so skipped the area not open to the public and the west extension; still managed a fairly respectable list though. After all the recent rain water levels were looking as high as I've seen them so far - my last visit was the first time I'd seen water flowing from Merecroft Pool into the overflow next to the dam, and today the volume of water seemed to have increased slightly:


Sploosh.
Lots of water flowing through the nature reserve as a whole, good to see it playing its part in soaking up the rainfall and helping protect the surrounding area from flooding. 


I would probably not risk crossing these now!


FULL BIRD LIST

Blackbird Great Tit Mute Swan
Black-headed Gull Greenfinch Nuthatch
Blue Tit Grey Heron Pied Wagtail (yarrellii)
Bullfinch Grey Wagtail Robin
Carrion Crow Herring Gull Siskin
Coal Tit Jackdaw Song Thrush
Coot Lesser Black-backed Gull Teal
Feral Pigeon Long-tailed Tit Tufted Duck
Goldcrest Magpie Water Rail
Goldfinch Mallard Woodpigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker Moorhen Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment