Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2013

65. Caucasian Snowcock (Tetraogallus caucasicus)

Another elusive endemic of the Caucasus region, the Caucasian Snowcock is a large member of the pheasant family. It lives in very remote spots at altitudes of around 2000 - 4000 m, which has helped protect it from poaching to some degree. Like many members of this family, they are not keen on flying and prefer to run if if at all possible! They have a beautiful ascending haunting call, imagine hearing that echoing off the mountains.

Caucasian Snowcock, ©Rami Mizrachi, via www.netfugl.dk.
Caucasian Snowcock sketch.
I really like this photo, the Snowcock looks like a proud sentinel of the mountains, what a handsome fellow! I thought I'd add the yellow eye patch to my drawing, but realised whilst drawing there are a lot of subtle brown and blue tones in amongst that grey that I should really have included to do it full justice. I've always thought grey and yellow was a particularly smart colour combo in birds, Grey Wagtail springs to mind primarily.

Whilst looking on the internet for Caucasian Snowcock info, I came across this wonderful video. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment