Pages

Wednesday 3 July 2013

69. Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa)

Hurrah! I'm back in the game, we bought a new scanner so I can now start to post the backlog of drawings that has built up over the past week or so :o)

Red-legged Partridge is an introduced species (from southern Europe) that has become naturalised in the UK. It is found in a range of habitats, including farmland, heathland and upland. There are 4 very similar-looking species of the Alectoris genus found in Europe, but helpfully there is virtually no overlap in their ranges. Be that as it may, the most obvious feature of Red-legged Partridge distinguishing it from its relatives is its thick black collar with coarse black streaking extending below down the breast.

Red-legged Partridge, ©Dave-F, via Flickr Creative Commons.

Red-legged Partridge sketch.

This scan is a bit more contrasty than the ones from our old scanner.... I quite like it. Have never meddled with the scanner settings before, as my drawings are mostly fairly rough and not worth spending loads of time trying to get the scan as close as possible to the real thing. I decided to try and see how far I could get in a set time with this drawing, as I want to be a bit stricter with my timing rather than getting carried away which can tend to happen. I didn't manage to finish it as you can see, you can also see the order in which I normally draw a bird, starting with the head and working towards the tails first - I guess because I find the head the most interesting bit. Despite that I haven't managed to make the head the right size, it is rather smaller than it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment